This is a bit off topic!
After the jump, I’ll share a look at an Air Force Attack type that dates from the 1960s.
This type started life as the T-37 trainer. As the Viet Nam War escalated the Pentagon was looking to add a light attack/COIN (counter insurgency) aircraft. The T-37 was felt to be an appealing starting point, it was a capable aircraft with good flight characteristics. Turning the trainer into the A-37 involved adding a lot of power and multiple hard points. The A-37B was more capable yet and added more complete electronics. The type stayed in service until it was finally replaced by the A-10 in the 1980s.
The aircraft shown here is from the Trumpeter kit with Super Scale decals. The inspiration for this is simple, its a Christmas present. My brother-in-law was based at Bergstrom Air Force Base in the mid-1980s. His job was Satellite communications, but he managed a ride on a visiting A-37 once. So this is my attempt at modeling his ride.
And wow what a can of worms this proved to be! First of all, the A-37 was never based at Bergstrom. They were assigned to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base with 23rd TASS. And since Bergstrom was long ago closed, and the A-37 retired 30 years ago, there is just painfully little documentation on the internet. I actually did find reference to this deployment happening, and I found two (yes, TWO!) photos of 23rd TASS A-37s from about this time.
My brother-in-law does have a drawing from the base news letter article about the Dragonfly’s based there for a few months. But this kind of made things worse. The drawing shows the big “DM” code on the tail indicating their Davis-Monthan origin. But every mention I saw of these aircraft says they carried “NF” on the tail for “Nail FAC”. That’s Nail Forward Air Control, their call sign and mission type. One of the photos I had showed an A-37 and A-10 side by side during the squadron’s transition period, both with the “NF” code. As near as I can tell the Squadron switched to “DM”, like all the other squadrons based at Davis-Monthan, several months after they re-equipped with Warthogs.
I tried to find photos, drawings, profiles, anything that might help; but this does not seem to be well documented era or aircraft type! I’m used to finding far more images for my World War II posts. There were two things I would have liked to find but couldn’t; a clear indication of what camouflage scheme these planes used, and a decal sheet with appropriate serial numbers and codes in the correct font. What I finally did was use a Super Scale decal sheet with an aircraft from the 1980s assigned to the Illinois Air National Guard. So the color scheme and stencils should be more or less correct. Then I found an old decal sheet for an F3F that included the “Marine Fighter” code of “MF” in a similar font and did some X-Acto surgery to make it into the “NF” code you see here.
So this was an adventure! I worked a little outside of my comfort zone and had to over work my “Google” keys. Now the really fun part will be spending the day with family and celebrating Our Savior’s birth. I hope all you readers have a great Christmas, and I’ll be back with something more period appropriate in a few days!